Friday, December 11, 2009

Thoughts on Screamo

I recently talked to someone who looked at this blog and they said that my opinion on screamo was a bit of a turn off. I appreciate the feedback on that. Truly I do. In light of that, I thought that I would explain my ideas on screamo music.

First and foremost, I will say that I have not found one screamo song that I like. I'm not saying that I hate screamo and I admit that it does take talent to do that screaming bit, but, alone it cannot comprise a song. I feel like it lacks a particular element. Perhaps it's the element of varied emotion. Pure anger just doesn't seem... human... if you can understand what I mean. I suppose, at the very core, it lacks a connection between song and listener. The lack of that personal element gives no reason for anyone to listen. At least I find no connection to it.

Second, I think that since screamo cannot stand a viable genre of music, its only use is to provide a personal accent to an artist's work. An excellent example of this, I find, is in The Darkest Nights by As I lay Dying. They have a predominant use of screamo in this song, but what makes the difference for me is that their chorus is understandable. This can stand alone as a song. I feel a connection to the understandable words but feel them empowered and accentuated by the screamo aspect. The screamo binds sorrow and anger rather than drowning the sorrow out.

Trivium is an excellent example of how screamo can be incorporated into music without it hogging all the limelight and preventing some sort of human connection. On Trivium's latest album, Shogun, they have a song that I particularly like. It's Down from the Sky, and the link goes to the Youtube video for it. This work is strong in presenting a point of view that is purely about seeing parts/aspects of the world for what they're worth. Dictators sit up high and watch the world burn while they wallow in wealth. All we are to some people are pawns, just ready to be used. All of the aspects that they describe could stand on their own as a great work of music. But they take it one step further and add a style that is uniquely "Trivium". The screamo aspect of their music, especially in this song, adds an amplification of the emotion that they try to convey. I can make a stronger connection to this song because the screamo doesn't set the tone for the song, it enhances it. It takes backseat to other styles, but is a passive mode for accentuating the point of the music.

To make a final note on this subject, I enjoy certain aspects of the screamo style, but I hardly believe that it stands as a genre, all on its own. My tolerance for screamo extends to just before the low grumbling that is particularly not understandable. Once I get there, I lose my interest and connection.

And I encourage anyone that reads this blog (if anyone is???) to comment and tell me what you think. If you agree or disagree. If you want to hear my opinion on something else? Or if you want to add you own opinions! I'm thinking about doing a piece on Miley Cyrus soon. And it is going to be a bash fest. When the time comes, I hope you enjoy!

Keep reading, listening and living art every day! Thanks for reading!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

How does facial hair influence your decision to date a man (or how has it affected your ability to date women)?