Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bad Romance

Although the start of my adventure has yet to... well.. start, I thought that I would do some practice with a little bit on my ideas of Bad Romance by Lady Gaga. I can see some of you out there shaking your heads and hear you saying, "really?" But what better place to start? I like her music and... I just hope you get my point. I'm new to the whole blogging thing. Throw me frickin' bone here (movie reference?)! I'm sure you understand. I know that Gaga has been done... many times... overly done, in fact, but she's a good place to start.

Bad Romance threw my left-dominant brain out the door and on its proverbial butt. There was no logic to it... at the first look. But the lyrics are probably more important than the actual video. In the first part, from the ra's to the "bad romance, " it seems like there's a lot about jet setting and loving it. The ra's signify a cheer- the most basic, yet universal, way to show joy or delight. "Roma" signifies Rome, the Eternal City. Roma is Italian for Rome. The Ga-ga the Ooh-la-la's signify France (where else do you hear ooh-la-la?) and, maybe as a double meaning, that she is loved by all wherever she goes.

Most of the rest of Bad Romance depicts a stage where sex and control are everything. What stands out about the rest of the song is where she sings about the fashion and "work that bitch crazy." It sounds like a reference to the demands of the world of fame and fashion and how she's working to the max all the time. The biggest reason why it stands out to me is that it separates itself from the tone of the rest of the song. It makes me think that her use of sex and control is to correlate the pressure of the industry and how little control she can have. It's a pleasurable experience, but it's one where the industry and corporation are calling all the shots. A love-hate relationship perhaps?

The video itself was odd. I will admit that. But if I can go on with the whole love-hate relationship and with the fame world, I noticed that she goes from plain at the start to looking like Madonna (trying to be Divalicious, are we?). It seems like a comparison to the music industry finding her as a plain Jane and working to make her into a hot, sexy musical artist.

There are probably a lot more things about this song and video that I could expound upon... but this seems to be more like an analysis rather than criticism or my actual opinionated thoughts. My left brain dominated this one... crap. So I'll stop here. Besides, I still have Calculus today. Oh joy. Keep in touch if you seem interested. Anything that you guys want me to talk about, drop me a comment and we'll see what I can do. Laterz...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How does facial hair influence your decision to date a man (or how has it affected your ability to date women)?